How to dress a pear-shape
If you are a pear shape, you will have following physical-characteristics:
- The lower body is broader than the upper body.
- Fuller/heavier thighs and hips.
- Bust falls under average to small size.
- The waist is well defined.
- Fullness and weight gain are mostly around the lower waist, thighs, and hips.
- Avoid unnecessary bulk around the hips and thighs area.
- Invest in good push-up bras.
- Keep print and embellishments around the neck and shoulder or upper part of the body.
- opt for darker lower-body clothing for bottoms.
- Wear fitted clothing that brings attention to your waist area.
- Use of excessive detail and fabric around the hips and thighs area – that will make your lower portion look bulkier.
- Wearing a brighter bottom – it will highlight your hips more than needed.
- Wearing skinny and tight pants/bottoms- It will make you look bulky.
- Wearing horizontal line geometric print bottoms- It will make your lower portion look heavier.
- Wearing shapeless and boxy clothing – It will throw off your proportion.
- Invest in tops or dresses with wider necklines.
- Embellishment or detail on the neckline highlight the top.
- Avoid narrow and long necklines. It makes the upper body section slimmer.
Range of preferable Necklines for pear body shape:
- While shopping for short sleeves, opt for a flared and loose silhouette.
- If you want to invest in long sleeves, fitted sleeves with no embellishments are preferable.
- Investing in sleeves which have detail or embellishments around the shoulder area, it helps to divert attention from heavy hips and thighs.
Range of preferable Sleeves for pear body shape:
Preferable Tops, T-shirts, and Shirts:
- Investing in crop tops and fitted tops will bring attention to the waist.
- Invest in a bright, detailed, and embellishment on the neck and shoulders.
- The length of the top should not extend the hip line.
- Avoid detail and embellishments around the hip area.
- Tuck in the top. It will draw attention to your well-defined waist.
Range of preferable Top, T-shirts, and Shirts for pear body shape:
Preferable Jacket and Coat:
- Avoid details and pockets around the hip or the lower waist area.
- The length should be till mid-thigh or till knee.
- Invest in embellishment and shoulders around the shoulder and bust area.
- The dark-colored long jacket will make you appear slimmer.
Range of preferable jackets and coats for pear shape body:
Preferable Jeans and Trousers:
- Avoid skinny jeans or trousers which hug around the hip area.
- Avoid jeans and trousers with a big side or back pockets around the hip.
- Avoid embellishments around the hip and distressed denim as it will grab more attention.
- Opt for mid to high-rise and straight, bootcut, and flares jeans and trousers.
- Darker color jeans and pants are preferable.
Range of preferable Jeans and Trousers for pear shape body:
Preferable Skirts and Shorts:
- Skirts and shorts with flowy or wider at the bottom will hide the bulk around the hip.
- Avoid pockets and other embellishments around the hip area.
- Avoid too-full and horizontal line print skirts to avoid a heavy/bulky look.
- Mid to high-waisted skirts and shorts are preferable.
- Preferable length of skirt and shorts should be at least till the knee or till the calf.
Range of preferable Skirts and shorts for pear shape body:
Preferable Dress style:
- Avoid dresses with thicker fabrics or with a dropped waist.
- Avoid straight-cut dresses.
- Investing in a belt to wear at the waist, it will draw attention to a well-defined waist.
- Avoid dresses with heavy, detailed, embellished, or texture around the hip and thigh area.
- Invest in a dress that has good detail around the neck, shoulders, sleeves, and hem.
- The silhouette of the dress should be narrow at the shoulder and wider/flowy at the bottom.
Range of preferable dresses for pear shape body:
Preferable Jumpsuit and Playsuit:
- Avoid jumpsuit or playsuit with skin-tight or body-hugging around the leg area.
- Jumpsuit or playsuit should be dark-colored and straight/flowy from the bottom/hem.
- Invest in a high-waisted Jumpsuit or playsuit as it will avoid extra attention around the hip or thigh area.
- Opt for light-flowy fabrics.
- The upper part of the jumpsuit or playsuit may have embellishments, details, prints, or a brighter color.
Range of preferable Jumpsuits and Playsuits for pear shape body:
Achieve more proportional body shape:
- Wear dark color clothing around the hip like a dark color bottom.
- Wear a dress to enhance waistline and arms.
- Invest in clothing which adds volume to the upper portion of the body for a balanced look.
- Stay away from clothing that draws attention towards the hips and thighs area.
- Use horizontal print or detail for top and vertical print or detail for the bottom.
- Invest in statement necklaces and patterned scarfs.
- Avoid pencil, fishtail, and tight tube skirts.
Still unsure about your body type? Click here to know your body type.